Thursday, February 23, 2012

idols

Once upon a time I thought of an idol as being a carved primitive looking human like statue made of wood with raffia hair that strange people sat in a semi-prominent area of their home.  There were candles around it and maybe some flowers and pictures of stuff they needed or wanted.

No more.

Idols have become something far more real.
Far more scary.

Oz came home tonight and announced, "I have an idol."

What? I expected him to pull out a strange wood carving from behind his back, but instead he said, "My idol is my life...I like being alive too much."

Well I like being alive too.

My idol isn't life itself...my idols go like this:
Me, what I want to do, my kids and what I want for them, Oz and his life....and then....
Well, let's just say there are a lot of them.

But then I remember that and idol is something that takes the place of the real God.

The real God.

It's a fake, a forgery, a deception.

So to undermine the idols, we have to know the real thing.
Because who would want a fake when you could know the real thing?

Not me.


No comments:

Post a Comment