Monday, January 9, 2012

Angels

Angels

I love the thought of angels.

Whenever I begin to think of angels images of chubby babies with wings come to mind.

They seem very nice to me because I love babies and I love things that fly, so flying babies make me almost giddy.

Then after the chubby, baby angels, I think of feminine looking beings with golden hair wearing banners that say things like Peace on Earth, and hope.

Neither of these are likely to be what angels are really like.

They're pleasant enough though.

The Bible doesn't describe the physical appearance of angels in much detail, but what we do know is that there are a lot of them in existence (a countless host of them appeared when the cute baby Jesus was born) and  that when people see them there usual reaction is to be very terrified.

Angels are always saying, "Fear not."

That's usually their opening line.

Some people in the Bible fall down when they see them (I figure they faint in fear).  Angels are often described as shiny or glowing (my guess is that they glow because they have been in the presence of God himself).

But they probably don't look like cute babies with wings...because who could be scared of those guys?

I have never seen an angel of which I was aware.

But from what I can gather they are very intimidating, very imposing and very awe inspiring.

They probably get the adrenaline going pretty fast in a mortal human being if they appear to one.

Max Lucado has some books that have some illustrations of angels.
They are often depicted with swords and look tough the way a soldier looks tough.

I think he's on to something with those illustrations.

Well, in Hebrews 1: 14 the Bible says:
"Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"
(by the way, this is a rhetorical question to which the answer is yes).

So how amazing is this?  Here is what I know.  I will inherit salvation.  I know this not because I deserve it or I'm really saintly, but because I trust in Jesus.

So, this verse says that angles are real beings that are here to serve me.

WOW!
Why would God send angels to help me out?
How would I feel is God opened my eyes and let me see the spiritual world around me?
When do these guys show up?

Is this getting weird to you?

It gets weird to me until I realize that there really is a battle between good and evil going on in this world.

One needn't look any further than the evening news to be aware of that.  And you can bet that's just the tip of a very large, very horrible iceberg. 

There is a spiritual war going on.  If you don't believe it try explaining how Hitler duped an entire nation of educated people into killing off all Jewish people.

That idea doesn't make a lick of sense in any average persons book.

Or think about what grown ups do sometimes to children.  
Why would someone hurt a child?

So there is a spiritual war going on.   And it makes sense that there would be spiritual beings battling.

And if they are sent to serve those who know Jesus, we must need help, and protection, and battling done on our behalf.

That's a lot to take in....

But I'm glad that a good God sends angels to help us.  I hope when I get to the other side I will get to speak with some angels who fought for the followers of Jesus.  

I bet they have some really good stories to tell.  I bet some of them will make us laugh.  Some will make us cry.  Some will make us realize how close we were to very awful things.

Most of all we will be thankful and humbled by what God has done on our behalf.

Thanks God.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment