Sunday, December 25, 2011

Today

December 25, 2011

It was Christmas today.

I ate a lot and opened presents.

It was fun.

But I did not think of that baby very much at all today.

Cute little baby in a manger.

Cute little baby snuggled into the hay.

That's weird isn't it?

Why did God let little baby Jesus be born in a barn, with all those stinky animals around?

I think that if God really is all powerful he could have arranged for some sort of crib with bumpers and a dust ruffle.

And maybe even a house to go with the bumpers and dust ruffle.

And a car seat for the bumpy donkey ride home.

But he didn't.

Do you know what I think?

I think God had Jesus born in a stable so that from the richest to the poorest of us he would seem, well, accessible.

Because if I met a person who was born in a barn I don't think I'd feel like I had to put on any sort of show.  I wouldn't pretend I'm better than I am or that I had it all together.  In fact, if someone told me they were born in a barn I think I might tell them some of the stuff I'm not so proud of.

I think God wants our idea of important people would be tweaked a  little.

The most important people aren't necessarily the famous people or the rich people.

I think God wants us to know that Jesus is pretty humble.

I like that about Jesus, it makes me want to talk to him and thank him for not being a show off.

Thanks for not being born in a big, giant palace.

Because that might be a little intimidating and I might be a little hesitant to talk to a palace Jesus.

+++++++++++++++

Here is something else, my friend sent me a very good video from a very humble town in Alaska.

You should watch it, it will make you smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment